Most doggie people know that chocolate is poisonous to dogs but I was surprised to learn that other foods, including grapes, onions, macadamia nuts and the stones from fruit, are also highly toxic. I wouldn’t deliberately feed our dog the foods listed but until now I wouldn’t have thought anything of it if the dog had hoovered up a grape or two that had dropped to the floor. Who would have dreamed that a few grapes could kill a small dog or puppy?
There are a lot of plants that are also poisonous to dogs. The list of poisonous plants in the Dogs Trust list of poisonous plants, garden and household substances runs to 8 pages! We have a number of plants on this list in our garden. Fortunately many of these are in the front garden where the dog will always be under supervision.
In the area of the garden where Elsa, our labrador pup, will have free access there are some problem plants including 3 listed as ‘can be fatal’. There are an apricot and a morello cherry growing in pots on the patio. These can be moved when they start to produce fruit. There is also a rhubard plant which I will move when it dies down.
The privet hedge which runs along the boundary I can do nothing about. Likewise the ivy which persistently tries to overrun the garden. I’m not so worried about these as apparently they are only a problem if eaten in large quantities. The garden I lived in as a kid had privet hedges and ivy and I don’t recall any of our dogs eating them. I will be vigilant though.
Indoors we have a number of Peace Lily plants positioned near electrical equipment acting as air purifiers. A couple of these are currently on the floor and will have to be moved up above puppy height or removed altogether because the Peace Lily is also poisonous to dogs.
Check out these links to learn how to perform emergency first aid on your dog. It just might save their life. May we never need to use it.
- CPR for puppies including rescue breathing and acupuncture resuscitation
- What Happens & What to Do About Chocolate Poisoning
- First Aid for Puppy Plant Poisoning Different plant poisons require very specific first aid. Usually that will be to either 1) induce vomiting, or 2) give milk or water to wash out the mouth, neutralize the poison and/or dilute the toxicity.Making the pet vomit the wrong poisonous plant, though, could make a serious situation even more deadly, so you MUST know what to do for each type of plant.
This article provides information about which type of first aid to apply for specific plants.
- How to induce vomiting