Turnips are an easy veg to grow if not very fashionable. Back in the spring I threw some seeds in a space in the veggie plot. The turnips used in this dish came from that sowing .
Turnips will grow quite happily in pots and I sowed some in a plastic trough earlier this week. They should be ready for pulling in the early autumn.
- a couple of pieces of chicken (I used breast this time but usually I use thighs)
- an onion, chopped
- a clove of garlic, chopped (I used the wet garlic that was in the veggie box last week)
- a couple of turnips, peeled and julienned
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- butter from grass-fed cows (for frying)
- 1/2 pint chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
Here’s what you do:
- Pre-heat the oven to 150C (fan)/160C/gas 3/325F.
- Brown the chicken pieces in butter and then transfer them to a deep casserole dish.
- Soften the onion and garlic in melted butter.
- Add the turnip to the pan and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to the boil.
- Pour the veggies over the chicken, cover the casserole and put it into the oven for an hour or until the chicken is cooked.
- Serve and enjoy.
I served the chicken and turnips on a bed of mashed cauliflower. A side of spinach would go well with this dish.
PrimalMan’s Comment: “That was yummy. Yummmm, yummmm, yummmm.”