Yesterday I picked the first strawberries of the summer from the garden.
A few weeks ago I put some plastic dome cloches over a few of the strawberry plants in the hope of getting some strawberries 2 or 3 weeks earlier than from the unprotected plants.
As the plants grew it soon became apparent that the cloches were nowhere near big enough and I wasn’t very hopeful of success. However I left the cloches over the plants because the weather had turned cold and I reasoned it would be a bit of a shock to the poor plants if I removed the cloches.
So I was delighted last night to spot some red berries on the plants. The berries were quite small and a bit oddly shaped, probably because of their cramped conditions and because they hadn’t had enough water, but they sure tasted good.