Hubby is attending an Aikido seminar this weekend and so yesterday I made a batch of these primal veggie chips (recipe from Mark’s Daily Apple) to go in his packed lunches. Made from aubergine, cheese and eggs these chips taste superb and that is coming from someone who is not a big fan of aubergine. Actually you can’t taste the aubergine at all.
For such a simple recipe I got in a right old pickle the first time I made it. I generated a mountain of dirty crocks and the kitchen looked like it had been hit by a hurricane! Fortunately the chips tasted sooo good that I wasn’t deterred from making them again. They are now a firm favorite. Here are a few tips for success:
- I find the recipe works best if you grate the cheese finely. I use a nice tasty cheddar.
- Remember to use omega-3 enriched eggs whenever possible.
- I only have a mini food processor so I blitz the aubergine in two batches.
- 1 aubergine, 2 cups of cheese and 2 eggs yields approx. 2 cups of quite a sloppy mix.
- Place 1/3 cup of the mix onto a piece of baking paper and spread it out into a disc around 8″ in diameter using a knife. Don’t try and roll it out using a rolling pin even with more baking paper on top therein lies the road to frustration.
- Put the baking paper onto a baking tray to cook. I cook two at a time for manageability. I get the next two ready while the first are cooking.
- To ‘flip over’ put another baking sheet on top and invert. There is no need for baking paper underneath now. I have 3 baking sheets and so 2 are in use at any one time and the third is used for flipping. Remember though that when the 3rd tray has been in the oven it will be HOT so wear oven gloves.
- I use a tasty cheddar and I find that no further seasoning is required.
I can’t tell you how long these actually will keep for… they disappear FAST.